Thursday 13 August 2020

1716. 🇲🇾 Pos Malaysia To Commemorate National Principles.


🇲🇾 As previously mentioned Pos Malaysia will issue a set of 5 stamps and 1 miniature sheet containing a single stamp on 18 August 2020 on the subject of the 50th anniversary of Rukun Negara,  the five principles of I believe in God, Loyalty to King and Country, Supremacy of the Constitution, the Rules of Law and Courtesy and Morality. Rating:- ***.






🇬🇧 The superb Norvic Philatelics Blog has just published a commentary piece by Ian Billings on the fact that Royal Mail will not be issuing any stamps to commemorate the Quatercentenary of the arrival of the Pilgrim Fathers - or whatever gender neutral term they are now known by - on board the Mayflower in America.
  I tried to add a comment in response to his piece but my Google or Blogger or whichever is responsible still will not let me make comments either on this Blog or that of any other person’s so I am writing it here. I hope Ian will forgive me for reproducing part of his piece but by doing so I can put my somewhat light-hearted comment in context.
  Ian comments that while Royal Mail has chosen not to commemorate the important and highly significant anniversary relevant to Britain as well as The United States it instead prefers to release what I imagine will be a vast and expensive issue of stamps on the subject of the American television and movie series Star Trek. I am curious to know how Royal Mail intends to link the subject to Britain if it even feels that there is a link that needs to be made. Here is part of the Norvic Blog:-



  My intended comment goes something like this, “I suspect that this is to do with Royal Mail’s prevailing wish not to upset anybody. The Pilgrim Fathers are now viewed as a ‘bad thing’ because of the negative impact their arrival and settlement had on indigenous North Americans. By extension Star Trek might be viewed as a ‘bad thing’ because of the negative impact the arrival on a planet of the crew of the Starship Enterprise usually has on the planet’s indigenous alien life forms. The ‘Federation’ seems to be an advanced form of ‘Imperialism’. Therefore the issue of a set of stamps to commemorate Star Trek should be abandoned immediately as the programme celebrates imperialism and xenophobia and is therefore offensive”.
  Needless to say I shall not be buying the Star Trek stamps.

Addendum - Much to my surprise my comment has appeared on Norvic’s Blog after all, so I apologise for duplication. Perhaps I will now once more be able reply directly to any comments left on this Blog. We will see.







5 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm a journalist covering Africa for The Economist magazine and I'm writing a story looking at how countries like the Central African Republic, Mozambique and Niger seek to gain revenue by issuing sometimes rather unusual stamps, presumably for the collectors' market. I see you have written about Stamperija before with regards to this matter. I was wondering if you might be willing to let me interview you on the subject so that I can understand a little more on the subject. I'm rather ignorant about philately, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Adrian, Thank you. I am a stamp collector (albeit of 60 years or so through nearly all the 7 ages of man) but would not claim to be an expert. I will be pleased to attempt to answer any of your questions if you wish to put them here in the comments section. It is a very interesting subject. Best wishes, WK

      Delete
    2. Are stamps still or really that great a revenue source for these countries today?

      Delete
  2. Regarding blog comments, this one allows comments to appear immediately with no moderation - thus until they are deleted spam comments will appear.

    By moderating comments I have recently avoided:

    synmac consultants in BANGALORE | CHENNAI | DELHI

    Defamation and Social Media: A New-Age
    Dilemma!
    uk solicitor qredible

    'good news network'

    and a link to an item in the National Post about an Iranian who was barred from entering Canada!

    You don't want to read that, so I stop it before it's out.

    ReplyDelete