New issues -
๐ฌ๐ง Royal Mail -
30 July 2026 - Military jet aircraft. This issue is now shown on the Royal Mail internet site with good quality illustrations - 8 stamps (2 setenant strips of 4) (cost £14.40), 1 miniature sheet containing 4 different stamps commemorating Sir Frank Whittle, inventor of the jet engine (£7.20), 1 ‘Fan sheet’ costing £8 containing 4 identical stamps and 1 ‘Collectors sheet’ containing 10 stamps, sold for £19.20. Total cost:- £48.80. Designed by Webb & Webb Design Ltd and lithographed by Cartor and perforated 14.5 x 14. Rating:- *.

















The planes are a bit 'meh' (how many times can Royal Mail return to the 'RAF planes' well), but I am pleased to see Sir Frank Whittle commemorated... and actually a somewhat meaningful anniversary (30 years since his death) and close to the actual August date of his death.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Royal Mail (Given their history, I should have checked but I haven't):
ReplyDeleteThis year mark 50 years since the Hawker Siddeley Hawk entered service in 1976, 70 years since the Gloster Javelin and Avro Vulcan entered service in 1956, and 80 years since the de Havilland Vampire first entered service in 1946.
Personally I think the paintings of the jets look great and are by some well-known aviation artists. There are also some notable anniversaries for a number of the jets featured and there's some not seen on stamps before. Plus, celebrating the work of Frank Whittle which is very well deserved. Great issue all round.
ReplyDelete